As I noted earlier today I’ve actually been tagged for PZ’s patented Mutating Genre Meme twice, so rather than rolling both into one I’ll pass on one version today and the other tomorrow (would this mean that I have double the reproductive success of other bloggers?). The first comes from the always insightful Primate Diaries, but before I mutate the meme I should probably pass along the rules, as well;
There are a set of questions below that are all of the form, “The best [subgenre] in [genre] is…”. Copy the questions, and before answering them, you may modify them in a limited way, carrying out no more than two of these operations:
* You can leave them exactly as is.
* You can delete any one question.
* You can mutate either the genre, medium, or subgenre of any one question. For instance, you could change “The best time travel novel in SF/Fantasy is…” to “The best time travel novel in Westerns is…”, or “The best time travel movie in SF/Fantasy is…”, or “The best romance novel in SF/Fantasy is…”.
* You can add a completely new question of your choice to the end of the list, as long as it is still in the form “The best [subgenre] in [genre] is…”.
* You must have at least one question in your set, or you’ve gone extinct, and you must be able to answer it yourself, or you’re not viable.
Then answer your possibly mutant set of questions. Please do include a link back to the blog you got them from, to simplify tracing the ancestry, and include these instructions.
Finally, pass it along to any number of your fellow bloggers. Remember, though, your success as a Darwinian replicator is going to be measured by the propagation of your variants, which is going to be a function of both the interest your well-honed questions generate and the number of successful attempts at reproducing them.
Eric has also traced his ancestry through the several generations of the meme and I will do the same;
My great-great-great-grandparent is Pharyngula.
My great-great-grandparent is Metamagician and the Hellfire Club.
My great-grandparent is Flying Trilobite
My grandparent is A Blog Around the Clock
My parent is The Primate Diaries
And now my contribution to the meme pool;
The best time travel novel in SF/Fantasy is:
The Dechronization of Sam Magruder by G.G. Simpson
The best scary movie in the monster genre is:
The best sexy song in emo is:
“Dance Inside” by The All-American Rejects.
The best novel in horror fiction is:
The Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Those are my picks, and I’ll pass the buck along to;
If you didn’t get picked this time, don’t worry, I will be providing more links tomorrow when I mutate another version inherited from The Anterior Commissure. If you’ve already been tagged and don’t want to give it another go, that works too, as I didn’t check to see who had or had not received the meme yet. My choices here were a bit obvious and I fully expect them to be quickly mutated out, but perhaps tomorrow’s edition will lead to some more interesting picks.